Porridge is generally regarded as a great healthy breakfast, as oats are a great unprocessed carbohydrate with a low glycaemic index that provide you with slow releasing energy to fuel your day. However, what is missing from most people’s breakfast when they have oatmeal is protein. It is essential to get some form of protein into all your meals, as it provides satiety, as well as essential nutrients, hormones and amino acids, which are vital for muscle recovery. This recipe is therefore the perfect way to get a healthy dose of protein in, that will leave you feeling fuller for longer, as well as simultanesiously satisfying your sweet tooth!
It is titled ‘zoats’, due to the addition of the zucchini (zucchini + oats= zoats). However, I promise you, you cannot even taste the zucchini, but what it does do, is give your meal plenty of volume for only a few calories, which is always a good thing for those of us who eat with our eyes. Additionally, it makes sure you’re getting your greens in first thing in the day, which is also something that most people are missing out of the usual morning meal.
Ingredients (serves 1):
1/2 zucchini, grated
1 cup water
1 scoop chocolate peanut protein powder (I get mine here).
- Grate the zucchini and add to a pan with the oats and water.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down and let simmer for around 5 minutes until the consistency thickens.
- Add a scoop of protein powder to the pan and stir through.
- Once the porridge has reached your desired consistency, transfer the contents to a bowl.
- Top with whatever you like! My favourites include chopped banana, berries, peanut/almond butter, bee pollen, cacao nibs, choc shot.
Nutrition Information (per serving)*:
Carbs: 38 grams
Fat: 7 grams
Protein: 27 grams
*Note: the nutrition information is for the recipe and does not include the toppings you may add.
Don’t forget to tag me @chezshanay #chezshanay- I would love to see your creations!